Tuesday, October 10, 2006

‘Dress Code’ Dictatorship


Honestly, I am going to limit posts of this kind to the absolute minimum. If I have to climb on my Banana Soap Box, it means I am REALLY REALLY VERY VERY pissed off about something and anything written here may not be suitable for persons under the age of 18, because they are really too young to read this, or anybody above the age of 98, because I do not want to disturb the peace of those elderly ladies and gentlemen.

SO THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING, READ ON AT YOUR OWN PERIL…

Are you still with me? Very well then…

Today I received an e-mail sent by the Benelux Chamber of Commerce in China (BenCham) inviting me to a breakfast meeting. First things first, I never like breakfast meetings. I never - ever - take breakfast, perhaps because it’s not really appropriate to have a beer at breakfast and if that’s not ‘done’ I prefer to skip breakfast. At least, at lunch I can have a beer - or two, or three…

So unless some really BIG BIGSHOT invites me to breakfast, you won’t see me there…

Well, never mind, so far, so good.

Back to BenCham. They are organizing a breakfast in the Capital Club on the 50th floor of the Capital Mansion at the unholy hour of 8 a.m. and have the temerity to mention “Please note that there is a dress code for the Capital Club”.

Period. What dress code? You guess? Probably suit and tie. I never ever accept any dress code unless it’s T-shirt/jeans/sneakers!

In some parts of Europe, including Belgium, wearing a headscarf, chador or burka is prohibited by law or regulations. And here in the center of Beijing you have a place which tries to force you to wear a suit and tie.

To hell with the fascist dictatorship of the dress code!

If a lovely Muslim lady wants to wear a headscarf, chador or burka, please let it be. If it’s a headscarf, we unfortunately can’t see her beautiful hair, if it’s a chador we can only see her beautiful eyes and if it’s a burka we can’t see anything at all. Let her be free to wear whatever she wants.

Likewise, everybody should be free to wear a suit and tie, or NOT…

And for those who still want to have my recommendation for a dress code? Very well then: Comrade Kim Jong Il’s bomber jacket! 

No comments: