Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Something to Crow about


I have recommended Carl Crow’s book “400 Million Customers” to many of my friends. It is an extraordinary book about doing business in China, written in 1937 and still relevant today. It is certainly in my personal Books Top 20.

British author Paul French has written a book about Carl Crow and presented it tonight at Beijing’s The Bookworm. Paul is a gifted and witty speaker. He introduced his research on Crow, how he found out about the existence of the Crow Archives at the University of Missouri and about trying to invent a possible excuse to justify a trip to Missouri. Until a casual acquaintance planned a trip to Missouri anyway and copied valuable material for Paul French.

What I didn’t know was that “400 Million Customers” is the most widely read book on China, translated in several languages. It was reprinted in 2003 and is still available at Amazon. When I read it two years ago, I didn’t know it was such a famous book, but felt it was indeed remarkable.

Now I can’t wait to read Paul French’s book “Carl Crow – A Tough Old China Hand”. If French’s writing is as good as his talking, it’s going to be a hell-of-a-read. 

No comments: