Thursday, December 28, 2006

Mandriva 2007


Another year, another passage. I am switching operating systems on my PC. After I bought a Lenovo desktop in September 2005, I installed Linspire 5-0, rather by default because installation of other flavors of Linux failed for one reason or another, Fedora Core, SUSE, Ubuntu all failed. Overall I am satisfied with Linspire. It served me well and the only thing that ever broke occasionally was the Click 'n Run (CNR) software installation facility, but after a bit of tinkering I managed to get it working again.

CNR was a paying service and became free this year, but it also became less useful. The latest addition to the CNR warehouse dates from August. Many new programs and upgrades have become available in the meantime. A second reason to leave Linspire behind and move on is that it still does not have a 64-bit OS. I can't wait any longer to take advantage of my 64-bit PC. Mandriva 2007 got very favorable reviews on the DistroWatch website, so I decided to give it a try. Becoming a member of the Mandriva Club doesn't come cheap but it gives you the possibility to download the Powerpack and take advantage of club offers.

As I will be reformatting my hard disk, i will also install a few other Linux flavors to experiment with: Fedora Core 6, Ubuntu 6.10, PcLinuxOS 0.93a and the experimental Elive 0.5 RL2.

With Internet traffic slowing to a crawl due to the cable break south of Taiwan and the holiday week between Christmas and New Year there is no better time to install a new operating system.

No comments: