Monday, January 29, 2007

A pig problem


The Year of the Pig will start on February 18, but China's CCTV has banned all pig images from commercials in order not to hurt the feelings of Muslims.

I am all for tolerance and respect for other people's religion and feelings, but in this case CCTV is overstepping the line. Muslims constitute less than 2% of China's population. The majority Han and many other minorities like pigs. Why would 98% of the Chinese people not be allowed to see a little fat pig in a commercial, because 2% think it's dirty. What's next? Banning the consumption of pork and alcohol?

On the other hand, I am opposed to the prohibition for Muslim women working in the city administration of Antwerp, Belgium, to wear the headscarf if their work brings them into contact with the public. What's so terrible about a lady wearing a headscarf?

In the first example, a minority custom is imposed on the majority (no pigs), in the second a majority custom is imposed on the minority (no headscarf). Nobody should impose anything on anybody else and everyone will be able to live in peace with due respect for others.

Once I was traveling in China in the company of an Egyptian colleague who had amassed a rather voluminous amount of documentation. So I volunteered to help her carry it. To thank me, she offered me a coffee in the airport coffee shop. Of course I preferred to have a beer (or two). I politely inquired whether she had any objection that I drank a beer in her company. Well, of course not, she replied. When I picked up the bill, she was surprised, because she wanted to pay the tab. I said no, because I didn't want her to pay with her money for my beer. She was pleasantly surprised about my consideration for her customs and religious prohibitions. No clash of civilizations here!

Now where our those little piggies to bring on the Year of the Pig?

No comments: